Participating in your union, sticking together, and educating potential members and the public about our union is easy. Here’s what you can do to be active in your union.
- Attend local union meetings regularly. If you cannot attend meetings, talk to your shop steward or other members about what took place and try to make the next one.
- Stay informed. Keep up with current events and what’s happening in your workplace. Visit us here at www.akteamsters.com or www.teamster.org to keep up with news that affects you and your union.
- Participate in union elections. Whether it’s elections for officers, contract votes or local union business, your opinion counts and can make a difference.
- Get to know your steward (or become one), they are your primary contact with your union and can answer many of your questions or refer you to the appropriate resources.
- Get to know your local officers and trustees. Attend a membership meeting or view their bios under executive board on the home page.
- Review the IBT Constitution at www.teamster.org or visit any of the Hall locations.
- Review the Local 959 Bylaws, you may obtain a copy from any of the Hall locations.
- Attend union rallies and events when you can. You may not be able to make them all, but standing together shows strength in numbers.
- Spread the word. If you hear about an issue that concerns you, tell your friends, relatives and coworkers and show them how to get involved. Educate others. Talk about what being a Teamster means to you. Tell your friends, Relatives and other workers about the benefits of being a Teamster.
What does being a member in good standing mean for you? Your dues must be paid by the last day of the month and your initiation fee must be paid in full.
What are the benefits to being a member in good standing?
- Attend membership meetings, be an active, educated member.
- Be active in the bargaining process and vote on your collective bargaining agreement.
- For your beneficiary/beneficiaries to be eligible for the Life with Dues insurance your dues must be paid through the month prior to death.
- To be eligible for sick dues you must be in good standing for 24 consecutive months.
- To be eligible for the James R. Hoffa scholarships a member must have been in good standing for 12 consecutive months.
- To run for union office you must be a member in good standing for 24 consecutive months.
Welcome to the Teamster Video Vault. Here is where we highlight the current event, campaign, and documentary clips that feature Teamster Action.
- Training Today for Energy Independence Tomorrow
- Organizing for Power
- D.R.I.V.E. Supporting Those Who Support Us
- A Veteran Speaks Out for the Employee Free Choice Act
- Securing Good Contracts and Enforcing Them